JUnit Lambda Prototype - Please provide feedback!

JUnit Lambda Prototype - Please provide feedback!

JUnit - User mailing list
"JUnit Lambda" is the codename of our current prototype for the next generation of JUnit.

What has happened so far:
- Crowdfunding went through on Indiegogo
- We held the kick-off in early October with participants from major IDEs and build tools
- The team has worked on the prototype since: https://github.com/junit-team/junit-lambda

Now is the time to collect feedback on the programming model, APIs, and SPIs. Please have a look at the documentation in the wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/junit-team/junit-lambda/wiki/Prototype

If you want to provide input or ask questions, please use the the issue tracker on GitHub:
https://github.com/junit-team/junit-lambda/issues

Cheers,

Marc

Re: JUnit Lambda Prototype - Please provide feedback!

JUnit - User mailing list
Hi Junit community;

  First of all congratulations on your new Junit Lambda prototype!

   Second I have also completed a testing prototype Tests4j last year. It
requires java 1.6 and after, and therefore does not use lambdas. Initially
I did not intend to compete with JUnit and simply wanted to suggest
improvements, however I have decided actually compete with JUnit in the
open source testing space with Tests4j, since Tests4j turned into an
entirely different animal. In addition I am going to attempt to support
legacy JUnit (3,4) and perhaps the new JUnit in the new Adligo build system
Fabricate, since Adligo has historically depended on JUnit.

Since I initially developed Tests4j as a commentary on JUnit, I thought I
should point out the key points I was trying to change/enhance on JUnit
after reading https://github.com/junit-team/junit-lambda/wiki/Prototype.

1) Tests4j's primary goal was on making test execution concurrent, I
believe you have done this with JUnit Lambda, but didn't see any text
related to this in the JUnit Lambda wiki?

2) Tests4j second main goal was to include code coverage (i.e. jacoco)
information from optional code coverage plug-ins in the test results, I
didn't see any text related to this in the JUnit Lambda  wiki?

3) Tests4j third main goal was to include information about what is getting
tested by a group of tests (Trial in Tests4j terminology). I came up with
the following groups of things that could be targeted by a group of tests;

3a) SourceFiles

3b) Apis

3c) UseCases (I used UseCase instead of Story, or other SDLC terms because
it was the oldest)

3d) Meta (test information about other Trials/Tests)

3f) Data (this does turn Tests4j into a bit of a swiss army knife, since
scientific and business applications often test data (i.e. Bitcoin, Drools,
SETI@home, etc).

I didn't see any text relating to how to group tests on the new JUnit wiki,
have you considered this suggestion in your new JUnit Lambda design?

In a nutshell I would like more high level information focusing on what
your trying to accomplish (i.e. what are JUnits new requirements?), and
less detail focusing on how your trying to accomplish it (i.e. were doing
it using Lambdas).

Cheers,

Scott

P.S. Please consider donating to Adligo's adligo.org projects here is a
high level overview;

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fabricate-tests4j-now-githubcom-scott-morgan

Here is the adligo.org crowdfunding site;

http://www.plumfund.com/crowdfunding/adligoorg

Finally the adligo.org mailing list (new as of today).

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/adligoorg